THE Y FOR
We focus our work in three key areas, because nurturing the potential of kids, helping people live healthier, and supporting our neighbors are fundamental to strengthening communities.
May 13, 2011
by Downtown Admin
Drinking water before, during, and after a workout is key to keeping your body happy and healthy. When you sweat during your workouts, you lose fluids that your body needs to stay hydrated.
In order to prevent yourself from getting dehydrated, follow these suggested guidelines to drinking the right amount of water before, during, and after your workout:
2-3 Hours Before Workout:
- Drink about 2-3 cups (16-24 fl oz) of water.
- Drink 1/4 to 1/2 of a cup (2-4 fl oz) of water every 15 to 20 minutes throughout your workout session.
- Don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink water! Your thirst mechanism is not as responsive when you work out.
- Drink another 2-3 cups (16-24 fl oz) of water during your post-workout recovery.
- You should also replace every pound lost with at least 2 cups (16 fl oz) of water.
Here at the Downtown YMCA we have water fountains and vending machines to help you stay hydrated while you’re here.